Lake Time

Lake Time
Okiboji 7/2011

Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday 9/26/11...Day one of the Out Season with Endurance Nation....Year #2

Today was the start of my Out Season plan with endurance nation.  Note it is not called an "off season plan" cause these workouts are so far from any off season I have eva been involved with.  This will be my second season with EN (Endurance Nation) and my second OS.  Last year I did the intermediate plan with the Nov crew.  Due to the fact I have an Ironman on the books for May 5, 2012 I am doing the October OS and bumped it to the Advanced level.  Hopefully I can hang.  I am not a fan of being on the trainer but this is Iowa and when it turns cold there just is not many other options.  This plan started today and will end on 2/12/12.  I will then take a week transitional period and drop into the Advanced 12 week Ironman program. 

Today consisted of what we call the FTP (functional Threshold Testing).  This is a 42 minute test on the bike.  20 minutes all out, two min break-if you want to call it that and then 20 minutes all out.  It then spits out your normalized power which is your FTP and this is what I will be training with for the next 8 weeks.  After 8 weeks we take the test again to see what improvements that we have hopefully made. 

Today my FTP was 240 watts.  So I lost 10 watts after my accident.  Not bad and I think I can make that up in 8 weeks.  I traveled 16.6 miles in 24 minutes.  My Ave heart rate was 175, Ave speed was 24 mph.  That puts me at 3.5 per KG.  Making improvements in the KG department and I love to see that. 

I wasn't going to swim this year during the OS but I have hired a stroke coach to see if we can get the catch and pull portion of my stroke better.  Would love to take a minute or two off my IM swim. 

Well things are progressing well with the left knee.  I was able to run 15 miles on Saturday on preparation for the Jamaican Marathon at a 9:30 pace.  With the OS we work on speed so prior to me getting hurt my TP was 6:22 a mile so we will see where I end up.  We took measurements today in physical therapy and the left quad muscle is only 0.4 inches off from the right now.  A weeks after the incident the quad muscle was not firing and I had lost almost 2 inches.  Love to see progress.

Well everyone try and have a great week. 

Train safe

No comments: