Lake Time

Lake Time
Okiboji 7/2011

Monday, November 14, 2011

Week 8/20

Well today is Monday, November 14, 2011 also know as week 8 of 20 of my OutSeason Endurance Nation plan.  This is a test week for me.  I have two test the first being the bike and second a run.



We are doing the test tomorrow morning before I have to go to work.  I try and get the training partners together for this cause the more of us that are together the bigger the push we get.  We will be mounted and riding at 0445.  Will post the numbers later that day in my blog.

Bike Test consists of being on a trainer here in Iowa cause of the cool weather :<.  Actually I could get outside today if I wanted to bundle up cause it will be in the 50's but then the Watts would not be accurate for the trainer.  I have been hitting 225-250 with ease the past few weeks.  Note my highest outside FTP test was 268.  I am going to try and get 230 and anything higher is a bonus.

We warm up for say 10-15 minutes.  Then the test consists of 2x20 min of all out pedaling.  The coach says imagine someone holding a gun to your head and when you are done you had absolutely nothing left in the tank.  Well since it is a test there is a learning curve on how to take it cause if you went all out from the beginning you just would not last.  My goal is to hold 220 - 230 for the first 10-15 minutes and then the last 5 minutes just let loose.  Then we get what is called a two min rest but remember those two minutes are added into the test so if you go to easy that will pull your number down so I will try and rest at 90%.  Then off we go again for the 2nd twenty minutes.  I usually am good until well the 3 minute mark and then I struggle.  I will try and pull off the same strategy though as the first.

The vDOT test for me will be done on a treadmill.  This is a 5k test and your goal is to of course go as fast as possible.  My highest vDOT for me was right before my injury and I was at 50.  My last test I was at a 44 but I have been doing my weekly runs way above those set numbers so I am going to be calling this vDOT a 48.  I will wu for 2 miles and within those two miles I will do 5x30 second up hill strides.  Then when the treadmill hits 3 miles I will turn the headphones onto some Metallica and let loose.  Again hoping for a 48 and anything above is a bonus.

I will be leaving the OS for 10 days as we vacation in Jamaica.  I will be doing a high volume run week while there.  No biking or swimming.  Should be a nice reset.  We leave Dec 2, 2011.  Arrive in time to pick up our marathon packets, relax a little, carb load, and then get some sleep.  They start this race at 0515 d/t the high heat and humidity.  We did this race 2 years ago and at the start it was 83 degrees and like 80% humidity.  At the finish it was horrid for me cause my feet felt like they were melting into my shoes.  They changed the course this year so we are running the 1/2 course x 2.  It was an out and back which I like versus a double loop but oh well its in Jamaica.

Well going to hit the gym today and lift then spend about an hour stretching and soaking in the hot tub.

Have a great week everyone.

No comments: